802.1X Setup using Server 03 and Aironet 1200 Series WAP help
CoolerThenZero
2008-08-21 19:54:31 UTC
Hello all,

I'd really appreciate some direction as I tried to setup a Cisco 1242
Series WAP as a Radius Client with 802.1x authentication on a Windows
Server 2003 R2 DC running IAS/RADIUS,DNS,DHCP.

Scenario:

I have 2 machines running Windows XP Pro SP2 and a Windows Tablet
portable that I need to authenticate to a Windows Server 2003 R2 DC
(This is the only server in the infrastructure) via a Cisco Aironet
1242AG Wireless Access Point. These 2 tablet PC’s will need to access
resources on the server. The Cisco Aironet WAP does support Radius
authentication. There are also some wired PC’s on the network that
will communicate directly via the switched network. The Aironet is
also plugged into the switched network.

It seemed that we were getting close to authenticating via IAS but
just would not connect to the Cisco Wireless Access point. At one
time IAS was logging an error message but even the IAS errors
disappeared after a while, leading me to believe that the
communication between the wireless client and IAS just was not there
anymore.

Steps I took following Microsoft's 170 page pdf and a Cisco post which
showed he got it working:

I went the Securing WLANS with PEAP-MSCHAPV2 route after reading most
of the 170 pg Microsoft pdf located at the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=60c5d0a1-9820-480e-aa38-63485eca8b9b&displaylang=en
.

1. The wireless clients were hardwired and promoted to the domain
first so that the computer accounts were generated.

2. A Global security group called WLAN Access was created in AD.

3. The user accounts and machine accounts were added to this group.

4. The user accounts had their Active Directory Dial-In user Property
set to Allow Access.

5. The Windows Server 2003 server was added to the RAS and IAS Server
group in AD.

Microsoft provided an msi package filled with scripts along with the
document above that automated alot of the process. Although the
Microsoft Document was based on WEP, it highly advised against going
the WPA route if the client's supported WPA which they did.

6. I installed the CA successfully using the script, setup the CA for
an IAS certificate template successfully using the script, and also
linked up an IAS server Certificated enrollment GPO to the domain
successfully using their script.

At this point, I did not use any more of their automated scripts as I
was going to setup the Wireless clients manually since there were only
two of them. Atleast I hope I didn't have too as I understood that
when going the PEAP route, the server is the only machine that
requires a certificate.

7. On the Windows 2003 R2 Standard Ed Server, I added the Cisco 1242
Aironet WAP as a Radius Client and provided the Shared Key.

8. Consoled into the Cisco Aironet 1242 WAP and configured the SSID,
the Radius Server's IP, the shared secret,etc. Config for both the
Cisco 1200 Aironet:

http://tekchicago.com/Aironet1242_IASTrouble.htm

I created an HTML page here http://tekchicago.com/Aironet1242_IASTrouble.htm
with most of my configuration except for the Wireless Client Setup.
Since there were only two Wireless clients that needed to
authenticate, I understood that I can set the Wireless clients
manually. I believe they had automatically picked up that it was an
802.1x setup and pre-configured itself.

Questions:

Has anybody setup 802.1x using a Cisco Aironet 1200 series and Windows
server 2003 before and got it too work? If so,
pleaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssse provide some documentation.

Since there are only two machines, should I follow the rest of
Microsoft's documentation and push out the wireless client settings
using a GPO?

Based on my configs and needs, how should the wireless clients be
setup?

I'll be checking this post throughout the day and will appreciate any
expertise or previous experience. Thanks alot!

Best Regards,

CoolerThenZero
CoolerThenZero
2008-08-21 19:59:33 UTC
Post by CoolerThenZero
[...]
sorry guys, I made a typo in the paragraph below.

Microsoft provided an msi package filled with scripts along with the
document above that automated alot of the process. Although the
Microsoft Document was based on WEP, it highly advised against going
the WPA route if the client's supported WPA which they did.

in line 3 of this paragraph I meant to say ,it highly advised going
the WPA route NOT against going the WPA route

Thanks.
James McIllece [MS]
2008-08-21 20:13:33 UTC
Hi there --

WPA is recommended over WEP, that's correct.

IMO these two guides are the ones to follow to deploy wireless with WS03:

"Enterprise Deployment of Secure 802.11 Networks Using Microsoft Windows"
at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/ed80211.mspx

"Step-by-Step Guide for Secure Wireless Deployment for Small Office/Home
Office or Small Organization Networks" at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=269902e8-fc41-
4eb1-9374-44612e64f0fb&displaylang=en

These two guides were actually written by the wireless writers of the
Windows Server documentation team.
.
--
James McIllece, Microsoft

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
name for newsgroup participation only.

CoolerThenZero
2008-08-21 20:50:24 UTC
.
Post by CoolerThenZero
[...]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.- Hide quoted text -
Hello James,

Thanks for your input. WPA is the way to go. Now that your referring
me to a different like, are you saying that the 170 pg Microsoft Guide
that I followed along with their Securing Tools and Scrips located
here at

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/cryptographyetc/peap_1.mspx

are bogus. Please advise. Thanks!
James McIllece [MS]
2008-08-22 19:15:49 UTC
Post by James McIllece [MS]
4eb1-9374-44612e64f0fb&displaylang=en
These two guides were actually written by the wireless writers of the
Windows Server documentation team.
innews:2c013166-d5c6-4786-898b-
Post by James McIllece [MS]
Post by James McIllece [MS]
Post by CoolerThenZero
Post by CoolerThenZero
will communicate directly via the switched network.  The Aironet
is also plugged into the switched network.
 It seemed that we were getting close to authenticating via IAS
but just would not connect to the Cisco Wireless Access point.  At
one time IAS was logging an error message but even the IAS errors
disappeared after a while, leading me to believe that the
communication between the wireless client and IAS just was not
there anymore.
Steps I took following Microsoft's 170 page pdf and a Cisco post
 I went the Securing WLANS with PEAP-MSCHAPV2 route after reading
most of the 170 pg Microsoft pdf located at the link below.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=60c5d0a1-98
2
.
Post by James McIllece [MS]
Post by CoolerThenZero
Post by CoolerThenZero
.
.
.
Post by James McIllece [MS]
name for newsgroup participation only.
right
s.- Hide quoted text -
Post by James McIllece [MS]
Hello James,
Thanks for your input. WPA is the way to go. Now that your referring
me to a different like, are you saying that the 170 pg Microsoft Guide
that I followed along with their Securing Tools and Scrips located
here at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/cryptographyetc/peap
_1.mspx
are bogus. Please advise. Thanks!
No, of course they aren't bogus; I am not speaking against that guide, I am
just saying that I am familiar with the people who wrote the guides I
recommended and that I know the guides work, because I've used them and
I've recommended them to others who deployed the technology successfully
using the guides. And I know that the authors of the guides I recommended
were or are on the Windows Server UA team (as I am), which is the primary
reliable source for documentation for Windows Server technologies.

Our content for Windows Server is here:

rights.
CoolerThenZero
2008-08-22 21:29:00 UTC
Post by James McIllece [MS]
Post by James McIllece [MS]
Post by CoolerThenZero
Post by CoolerThenZero
will communicate directly via the switched network.  TheAironet
is also plugged into the switched network.
 It seemed that we were getting close to authenticating via IAS
but just would not connect to the Cisco Wireless Access point.  At
one time IAS was logging an error message but even the IAS errors
disappeared after a while, leading me to believe that the
communication between the wireless client and IAS just was not
there anymore.
Steps I took following Microsoft's 170 page pdf and a Cisco post
 I went the Securing WLANS with PEAP-MSCHAPV2 route after reading
most of the 170 pg Microsoft pdf located at the link below.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=60c5d0a1-98
2
.
Post by James McIllece [MS]
Post by CoolerThenZero
Post by CoolerThenZero
.
.
.
Post by James McIllece [MS]
[...]
rights.- Hide quoted text -
sounds good. Thanks for clarifying. I read through the reference
document that you provided "Deployment of Protected 802.11 Networks
Using Microsoft Windows" and the one I personally went on from
Microsoft called "Securing WLANS using PEAP and Passwords" (this is
the one provided with scripts to automate the setup of the IAS CA,
GPO's,etc.).

In the "Deployment of Protected 802.11 Networks Using Microsoft
Windows" documentation http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457068(printer).aspx
it says that for PEAP-MSCHAP V2 to obtain a certificate from a third
party such as verisign. However the "Securing WLANS using PEAP and
Passwords" document claimed that for PEAP-MSCHAP V2 you could setup
the root CA yourself provided with their scripts which I did and did
work.

Since you have used them, is it true that if I'm going the PEAP-MSCHAP
V2 route that I DO NOT have to obtain a third party certificate and it
should work with the CA and IAS setup that the scripts provided for
me.
CoolerThenZero
2008-08-24 03:16:25 UTC
Post by James McIllece [MS]
Post by James McIllece [MS]
Post by CoolerThenZero
Post by CoolerThenZero
will communicate directly via the switched network.  TheAironet
is also plugged into the switched network.
 It seemed that we were getting close to authenticating via IAS
but just would not connect to the Cisco Wireless Access point.  At
one time IAS was logging an error message but even the IAS errors
disappeared after a while, leading me to believe that the
communication between the wireless client and IAS just was not
there anymore.
Steps I took following Microsoft's 170 page pdf and a Cisco post
 I went the Securing WLANS with PEAP-MSCHAPV2 route after reading
most of the 170 pg Microsoft pdf located at the link below.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=60c5d0a1-98
2
.
Post by James McIllece [MS]
Post by CoolerThenZero
Post by CoolerThenZero
.
.
.
Post by James McIllece [MS]
[...]
me.- Hide quoted text -
James,

By combining the knowledge of all three Microsoft Deployment Guides
for Securing WLANS, I got it too work.

However, the 170 pg Microsoft PDF "Securing WLANS using PEAP and
Passwords" is hands down a must read if someone new is trying to put
a Secure Windows Server 2003 WLAN into play due to the very time
saving automated scripts.

Download it guys before they expire it so your forced to buy a WLAN
certificate from Verisign =). Thanks again James for the other two
deployment links. I really appreciated the response.
James McIllece [MS]
2008-08-28 19:52:58 UTC
Post by CoolerThenZero
snip<
James,
By combining the knowledge of all three Microsoft Deployment Guides
for Securing WLANS, I got it too work.
However, the 170 pg Microsoft PDF "Securing WLANS using PEAP and
Passwords" is hands down a must read if someone new is trying to put
a Secure Windows Server 2003 WLAN into play due to the very time
saving automated scripts.
Download it guys before they expire it so your forced to buy a WLAN
certificate from Verisign =). Thanks again James for the other two
deployment links. I really appreciated the response.
You're very welcome, I'm glad you got everything working. Thanks, too, for
the information about the other guide, I'll check it out. :-)

James