Importing from IAS 2003 to NPS 2008
Rick
2008-05-19 23:06:02 UTC
I am running a 2003 Enterprise DC with IAS enabled. I have a large number of
Radius clients installed. I would like to export these radius clients from
the 2003 server and import them into the 2008 server. Is this possible? I can
dump the radius information using netsh aaaa show config and generate a .txt
file on the 2003 server. It appears that you need a .xml file to import into
the 2008 server. Is there a work around for this issue?
James McIllece [MS]
2008-05-20 16:44:38 UTC
Post by Rick
I am running a 2003 Enterprise DC with IAS enabled. I have a large
number of Radius clients installed. I would like to export these
radius clients from the 2003 server and import them into the 2008
server. Is this possible? I can dump the radius information using
netsh aaaa show config and generate a .txt file on the 2003 server. It
appears that you need a .xml file to import into the 2008 server. Is
there a work around for this issue?
I'm looking into this for you, will post a solution when I have it.
--
James McIllece, Microsoft

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
name for newsgroup participation only.

James McIllece [MS]
2008-05-20 16:52:17 UTC
Post by Rick
I am running a 2003 Enterprise DC with IAS enabled. I have a large
number of Radius clients installed. I would like to export these
radius clients from the 2003 server and import them into the 2008
server. Is this possible? I can dump the radius information using
netsh aaaa show config and generate a .txt file on the 2003 server. It
appears that you need a .xml file to import into the 2008 server. Is
there a work around for this issue?
Here's the response from the product team on this issue:

"The only way to do this is to upgrade the existing IAS server to W2K8 and
then export the policy to import it onto the new hardware."

Rick
Roy Davis
2008-06-12 20:11:02 UTC
We did the upgrade from server 2003 to server 2008. Nothing shows up in the
NPS console. There is no indication that IAS was there, and it sure didn't
upgrade crap when it comes to IAS. So, what NOW?????

Have you actually done this or just guessing this would be the way to do it?
John Rolstead
2008-10-04 16:17:01 UTC
Do you have a solution for this yet? I am attempting to export from W2K3 IAS
to W2K8 NPS and netsh is not working.
--
John A. Rolstead
MCSE 2003
James McIllece [MS]
2008-10-09 20:44:33 UTC
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBSb2xzdGVhZA==?=
Post by John Rolstead
Do you have a solution for this yet? I am attempting to export from
W2K3 IAS to W2K8 NPS and netsh is not working.
Not yet. When there is a solution I will add it to the following web page:

NPS Fast Facts