IAS and remote DHCP server
Alexander
2008-06-17 13:51:00 UTC

I'm wondering is it possible to tell Microsoft IAS to use non-Microsoft DHCP
server, that is installed on a linux server? How, if yes?

Please, let me know.

Best regards.
S. Pidgorny <MVP>
2008-06-19 08:47:26 UTC
No, that's nothing to do with the RADIUS server. Configure DHCP options on
your remote access server and network switching infrastructure.
--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

* http://sl.mvps.org * http://msmvps.com/blogs/sp *
Hi,
Best regards.
Alexander
2008-06-19 10:02:54 UTC
Thanks for your answer!

Do you know how to configure MS IAS for IP addresses assigning to wireless
clients?
S. Pidgorny <MVP>
2008-06-19 11:36:07 UTC
You can't configure IAS for that.

To give you an example: you can configure Cisco acces point to use IAS as
the RADIUS server and use PEAP authentication for the clients. That is done
on layer 2. The access point can still be a wireless bridge and use the same
IP subnet and DHCP server as the wired segment it's connected to. IAS has no
knowledge, or visibility, over the client Ip address allocation. It only
controls connections on the datalink layer.

James McIllece [MS]
2008-06-19 20:19:31 UTC
Post by S. Pidgorny <MVP>
You can't configure IAS for that.
To give you an example: you can configure Cisco acces point to use IAS
as the RADIUS server and use PEAP authentication for the clients. That
is done on layer 2. The access point can still be a wireless bridge
and use the same IP subnet and DHCP server as the wired segment it's
connected to. IAS has no knowledge, or visibility, over the client Ip
address allocation. It only controls connections on the datalink
layer.
Svyatoslav is correct, and I would like to add that the primary use of IAS
is to centrally manage the authentication and authorization of remote
(dial-up, VPN) and local (802.1X authenticating switch and access point)
network access requests.
--
James McIllece, Microsoft

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
name for newsgroup participation only.